Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Happy Thanksgiving

We love you all so much and will miss everyone this year. We hope to make it to the mountains for a first ski day, and then home to Trader Joe's and Costco's finest ;-). We are so thankful for wonderful friends and family. Here is a poem I wrote to share:

Thanksgiving Gifts
I climb a winding stair with a heavy load
My breath falls short, my arms ache  
The contents spill over the edge of my basket
As I wobble on the brink of every step
I pant and sweat, try to reach out and grab what falls
Though I can’t afford to let go even for a minute.

Ahead on the staircase I see people with bigger baskets
And an emptiness opens in my chest
I look down at my feet and then I see behind me multitudes
Thronging the stairway, some with baskets half-full and some with empty,
Some, in fact, with no basket at all – only bare hands.
My vision clears and I recognize the fruits I carry:
Friendship, family, love, health, food and shelter.
All is gift.

Now I let the contents spill freely
 I hope that my fallen fruits will land in their empty arms
The absence of a few blessings cannot dent my abundance
In fact, the load is lighter now, easier to bear.
Then I see you beside me, your basket empty on the ground
Your arms full of gifts to share.
You remind me that to be rich does not require abundance,
Only  enough, and my burden is no burden at all, 
But gift beyond measure.


2 comments:

  1. This is amazing! And so incredibly true (that's the thing about poetry, isn't it? - it's so true).

    Thank you for being a gift in my life. Jeri

    ReplyDelete
  2. So thankful you had a safe trip - and that you are a lovely constant in my life.

    ReplyDelete