Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Teaming Up on Us

I went to exercise with a friend yesterday, leaving the children to work on their math and writing at home. As we concluded the final set of sit-ups and I sat gasping for air, my workout partner asked if the kids actually stuck with their school work for the whole hour and a half, or perhaps slid off-task into the forbidden world of "screens" (ie computer games, TV or Ipods). After a moment of thought, I told her that it was OK for them to be on the forbidden screens for a while, as long as they bonded with each other against me, so that no one told or gave away the secret when I got home. She laughed and said, "that's exactly the way I feel!"

No one ever told me that I would want my kids to gang up on me, but the thrill of seeing them act as a team makes me feel so good that I don't mind if I am the one being hoodwinked. One of the joys of the summer is the gift of time for the kids to spend together, instead of separated by school and all of their individual, age-appropriate activities. This time comes with a negative side, as well - enough time for them to really get on each other's nerves and drive all of us crazy. But they require the time together to cultivate their relationships and sometimes unlikely partnerships.

When I was growing up we moved three times in seven years. My three brothers and sister and I became unlikely partners in crime simply because we often didn't know anyone else. My brother John and I ate lunch together during our first two weeks at a new high school and often played tennis or worked out together, especially in the first few months at a new location. Rob and I don't plan on moving any time soon, but the gift of time in summer - without too many camps or playdates - gives the kids a little bit of that idea that they are on the same team and in this crazy life adventure together.

Now with that said, I am pretty much guaranteed to witness severe fighting all day today . . . hope not, but I'll let you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment