Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Thursday, April 10, 2014

A Problem with Systems

Today was a flurry of activity. I had an early bout of ninja cleaning and then showered and put on my 'presentable face' for two hours of lobbying at the State Capitol. I thought I was just going to be a warm body for Speak for Cherry Creek, sitting in the Senate chamber as the Senators discussed HB 1202, but instead we got the chance to split up into small groups and pay a visit to key senators and their aides. (Actually, just their aides.) We thanked those who supported HB 1202, which includes authorization and funding for a study on the upcoming PARCC tests, and emphasized our support for the State Board of Education decision (4-3, yesterday) to request that Colorado de-couple from PARCC.  

We were polite and thoughtful and were treated that way in return, except for one instance when an aide for Senator Baumgartner refused to let us in to speak with her or drop information off at Senator Balmer's desk. She told us that we were "lobbyists" (one woman asked later, "so can I add this to my resume?") and that we were going about it the wrong way. Since it was only my second visit to the Capitol and I certainly don't get paid, I don't see how her characterization was valid or helpful. We also met a brilliant and well-spoken young woman, an aide for Senator Mike Johnston, who talked with us about the potential flaws of computer testing and the need for a good plan for alternative tests if we do get rid of PARCC down the road.

Then I drove off down Colfax to the GEO / ICE Detention Center to spend an hour with the residents of A Pod. I had a new assistant today, and she was incredibly prepared, helpful and enthusiastic. So enthusiastic, in fact, that we had fifty men attend class. Pinky swear, there were actually fifty names and A numbers on the sign-in sheet and fifty men in various stages of life, education, and linguistic ability filling the room. Fortunately they were all there to learn, and despite my need to shout and a lack of handouts, class went well. 

A strange day, I thought on my way home. So many good people everywhere, from the parents of SPEAK to the politicians and their aides, from the detainees to the GEO employees. It seems that the only broken things are the systems, the corporations, and all entities large enough to swallow individual consciences and kindness whole. Systems make it difficult to fund education and to properly reward teachers, and systems make money from imprisoning people who lack documentation.Human beings aren't perfect, but at least we can connect and share, and maybe find some common ground to move things forward.

1 comment: