Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Monday, August 19, 2013

Time to Wake Up

"So wake me up when it's all over
When I'm wiser and I'm older
All this time I was finding myself
And I didn't know I was lost"
 - Avicci, Wake Me Up song lyrics


"They say, find a purpose in your life and live it. But, sometimes, it is only after you have lived that you recognize your life had a purpose, and likely one you never had in mind."  Khaled Hosseini, And the Mountains Echoed

William started fifth grade today - his last "first" day of elementary school. I dropped Daniel off at his second grade line with a hug and a sigh of relief (transitions were TOUGH this year) and meandered over to fifth grade where I stood a respectable distance away from my child so he would not be embarrassed. I was touched and gratified when one of the fifth grade teachers said it was time to blow a kiss and leave - and William actually blew me a kiss! So of course I returned it and was so glad I had wandered over.

Meanwhile, Aden is off to 7th grade. She was confident last night and a bit nervous this morning but had a good energy. She walked down to the bus with a good friend and I think for her this year will be so much easier than the last, when everything was a first.  Which leaves me - at home and childfree. I am more quietly pleased about this than I have been before. Our summer was lovely, and feels like a ripe peach not yet fallen to the ground but still swaying gently on the tree. I am not quite ready for it to be over, the parks and pools and playdates, the leisurely meals and snacks, and the more open schedule.

But I am glad to move on, wake myself up, and pursue some interests that may or may not turn out to be part of my 'purpose.' Right now I am wandering over to Stanford's online writing program to try to register for a course in poetry. Then off to the pool, an appointment, and the ever-necessary grocery store. I'm not as lost as I once was, though still in the process of finding myself. We'll see if I land in an unexpected place, though knowing a touch about life, I can almost guarantee it.

No comments:

Post a Comment