Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Friday, June 14, 2013

I Gave My Heart

New verses below, still a bit of a work in progress. Wrestling with the theme as well as word choice. Comments welcome . . .

I gave my heart
I gave my heart to God and he did not give it back.
Once I thought he might tear it in two pieces,
Throw it down on the ground and walk away
Without a backwards glance.

For it beats shallow and rapid, appears bruised and broken from
Battling through long nights when I could not calm
My center, which fought even when I failed to recall
What I was fighting for.

Though it contains all I love and who love me, it is a small thing.
But he holds it tenderly, revolving slowly in tapered fingers,
Sighing over the tears and cracks and open spaces,
Cradling and consoling with whispered solace.

Slowly, racing tempo eases to three – quarter time,
He smiles over the weight and fullness now,
Gently encouraging my heart to open wide,
For a moment embracing the universe.

Stars and spinning galaxies unfold and recede with
Floods of compassion and love for creation.
Bending low, he returns my mended heart
Bestowing not rejection, but resurrection.

No comments:

Post a Comment