Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Monday, February 11, 2013

Milestones

William got to shake the hand of swimming superstar Missy Franklin last week. She's volunteering at the Elementary School for a few weeks and he just happened to be wearing his summer league all-star tee shirt when he passed her in the hall. By his account she exclaimed over his fellow swimmer status and asked his name while he shook her hand. The run-in with superstardom had him beaming all night. Only through repeated acts of heroic restraint have I kept myself from stalking the school looking for my own encounter on pretext of volunteering or having lunch, snack, or recesses with my boys.

Another milestone occurred when Rob went back to work today, his borrowed crutches covered in matching green washcloths and blue rubber bands. The color coding and placement was carefully coordinated by my oldest child. She has decided that my recovery has progressed sufficiently to the point where she can criticize me freely and point out my defects. . . . in grocery shopping, cleaning, and placement of crutch supports. I take this as a healthy sign of things returning to normal.

And, by some miracle, we have almost reached normalcy. If you came to our house and overlooked the mini trampoline in the living room (for spending of Daniel's excess energy), the small store of natural supplements that I have lined up on our kitchen counter, and the massive knee exercise machine in our family room, you would just about think we were a normal family. Which I suppose we are, though my head still hurts and Rob can't put any weight on his right leg.  I am so thankful for the blessings of (almost) normalcy!

No comments:

Post a Comment