Family Moab

Family Moab
In Arches National Park

Saturday, January 12, 2013

And the brain is connected to the immune system?

There's a new field that Rob and I discovered via internet search engine: neuroimmunology. One of my doctors carried this one step further and said there was an even newer field of neuroimmunopsychology, but I cannot find that via Google. Either I got the phrasing wrong (no doubt a function of my immuno-compromised brian), or my doctor is so cutting edge the field does not exist yet.  Basically, doctors and researchers are discovering that autoimmune diseases affect brain function, which naturally affects nervous system action and also impacts sleep and mood. When a brain is damaged by stress or a viral or a bacterial infection, it sends inflammatory markers throughout the body. As I know now, I tried to heal my stomach and my body all summer, but my brain was the source of the problem and crying out for relief.

Thus it was that my journey to health started at the dermatologist (for itchy scalp and hair loss) and ended at a psychiatrists office. I knew absolutely nothing about the realm of brain medication and treatment and made several naive mistakes throughout this process that set me back a great deal. For  example, I read that doxepin, an older anti-anxiety medicine and anti-depressant, was often prescribed for burning scalp. So I received that prescription from my GP, and dutifully took it, I felt better after a few weeks (maybe halfway to recovery) but was startled by some side effects, as well as by a warning from my holistic doctor not to take this medication. An allergy test at the immunologist required that I go off of doxepin for at least five days prior to the test, so I did, like the "good girl" that I am.

Let me tell you, do not ever stop an anti-depressant or other mood medicine until you are in a stabilized and healthy condition and have approval from your doctor. When I went off the doxepin (which was only half of a normal dose) I watched my interest in life and my peace and my health slip quietly away - only I could not see it then, only now in retrospect after Rob and I created a timeline of past meds and reactions. A panic attack led me to the hospital and another med, which did not work for me at all, and led to eight weeks of deteriorating health in all regards.

Now, thankfully, I am back on a good medicine (for me) with a better understanding of what my triggers and solutions are.  In the last few days I have spoken with at least three other women in my neighborhood who experienced similar cross-over symptoms, particularly how their thyroid medication (for an autoimmune illness) affected their mood and their functioning.  It's so very real, so very true that mind body and soul are linked in health and well-being. We must heal all parts to become well.

No comments:

Post a Comment